Aim of the course
The ABC of Survey Design is an introduction course into survey design principles and data quality. It enables participants to develop their own surveys and take decisions on the most appropriate mode of data collection, the sampling strategy, the data collection processes and data preparation. Participants learn and practice the development of questionnaires and questionnaire evaluation techniques. In addition, the instructor supports participants with their own survey projects.
- The survey mode: computer assisted or paper-and-pencil; interviewer-mediated or self-administered
- Sampling and sampling frames
- Cognitive processes in questionnaire design
- Context and order effects in questionnaires
- Data collection and nonresponse
- Interviewer effects
- Total Survey Error and data quality
Researchers developing or commissioning surveys; Researchers using secondary data and wishing to better understand survey errors.